In order to share resources, ideas and good practice in gender balance among the centres at the Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB), the PRBB Gender Equality Committee has been set up. The group comprises members from all six institutes and the PRBB itself, including both researchers and admin staff.
The current members of the group are:
- Laia Rabal (Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute (IMIM), Human Resources)
- Iñaki Ruiz-Trillo (Institute for Evolutionary Biology (IBE: CSIC-UPF), Researcher)
- Elena Casacuberta (Institute for Evolutionary Biology (IBE: CSIC-UPF), Researcher)
- Gemma Perelló (Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal), Management Director)
- Neus Martínez (European Molecular Biology Laboratory – Barcelona (EMBL), Researcher)
- Andrés Ozaita (Department of Experimental and Health Sciences, Pompeu Fabra University (DCEXS-UPF), Researcher)
- Sonja Reiland (Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG), Scientific Project Manager)
- Maruxa Martínez-Campos (Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB), Communications)
The aims of the group are to actively share resources, ideas and good practice in gender balance amongst PRBB institutes, and to catalyse the development of cross-institute initiatives and activities to promote a real equal opportunities environment. A long-term, far-reaching goal is to make science a career equally appealing and fulfilling to men and women, starting by changing stereotypes and encouraging girls to study STEM careers.
The group’s first joint activity was the creation of a Who’s Who game highlighting women scientists past and present, which was played at the PRBB Open Day. The game can now be used at schools and events. Please contact email@example.com if you are interested, or you have any other ideas or suggestions!