Generally, childhood cancer cannot be prevented or detected because, unlike cancer in adults, there is usually no known cause. Thus, the most effective strategy to fight against it consists of an early and correct diagnosis, as well as an effective therapy.
According to the WHO, 300,000 cases of cancer are diagnosed in children between 0 and 19 years old every year
With the aim of overcoming childhood cancer, the Hospital Sant Joan de Déu has launched the creation of the largest pediatric center in Europe and one of the most important in the world: the SJD Pediatric Cancer Center Barcelona. The center will have the necessary infrastructure, tools and professionals both for treatment and research of childhood cancer.
The charity race Montseny-Costa Brava will benefit the #paralosvalientes project
In order to raise money for the creation of the SJD Pediatric Cancer Center, researchers at the Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB) will participate in the Montseny-Costa Brava charity race on Saturday, June 29, during the whole day. It is a 74 km team race that joins the Montseny Massif with the Costa Brava, following the Tourdera route.
- Roger Anglada, research technician at the Genomics Service of the Department of Experimental and Health Sciences, Pompeu Fabra University (DCEXS-UPF).
- Juanma Fuentes, administration and Services Staff at the UPF.
- Cristina Llop, technical secretary at the Drug Research Ethical Committee of the Parc de Salut Mar.
- Sara Martínez, PhD student at the UPF.
- Mitona Pujadas, research technician at the Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute (IMIM) Foundation.
- Rosalia Ramírez, head of the IRMS area at the doping control laboratory of the Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute (IMIM).
- Eva Urbano, technician in Economics and Finance at the Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB).
It is worth mentioning Òscar Fornas, head of the Flow Cytometry Unit at the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) and UPF, who was the driving force behind the initiative.
Each PRBB participant will run approximately 40 km
If you also want to contribute to this great project, you can help our researchers by making a donation. You can also join the next charity breakfast organized by the Incubakers in the PRBB, on Tuesday May 14, from 9 to 11 h. You will enjoy a delicious homemade breakfast for 2 € and you’ll be doing your bit to make this project a reality.