This June 16th, the Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB) launches a new scientific outreach product. This is the park’s second podcast, entitled ‘Absolutos y Relativos‘, which aims to explain the work and life experience of some of its researchers in Spanish.
This audio series consists of six 30-minute interviews conducted by science journalist Luca Tancredi Barone. In a very natural and personal way, Luca generates a cosy atmosphere in which the research staff of the Park’s centers explain their work and share their vision of the scientific career.
And it is precisely in this vision where ‘Absolutes and Relatives’ puts the accent. In discovering the people behind scientific projects to find out how their career has been so far and how they balance it with well-known aspects of scientific life. Thus, in ‘Absolutos y Relativos’ issues such as: the lack of job stability, the passion for this work or how science is striving to be more diverse, fair and inclusive with groups such as LGTBIQA + within the scientific community are reviewed.
The leading voices
This first season of ‘Absolutos y Relativos’ features six researchers from different centers in the Park who help us learn about some areas of biomedicine and the different stages of a scientific career. A fresh and close look at the people who, with their concerns and careers, dedicate themselves to doing science with passion.
- Pepi Cruz, postdoctoral researcher in the evolution and developmental biology group at the Institute of Evolutionary Biology (IBE: CSIC-UPF), tells us about her studies with Drosophila and her passion for insects.
- Lorenzo Pasquali, principal investigator of the endocrine genomic regulation group of the Department of Medicine and Life Sciences, Pompeu Fabra University (MELIS-UPF), explains how they study the genomic regulation of diabetes and talks about the transition from medicine to research.
- Queralt Tolosa, doctoral student in the Cell and Tissue Dynamics laboratory at the Center for Genomic Regulation (CRG), tells us about how biology and physics are combined in the study of embryonic development using zebrafish as an animal model, as well as the experience of doing a doctorate.
- Jarek Sochacki, iPSC specialist technician at the European Molecular Biology Laboratory – Barcelona (EMBL Barcelona) talks about his work reprogramming cells to make them pluripotent and about his studies with cells from different species.
- Patricia Robledo, principal investigator of the Integrated Pharmacology and Systems Neuroscience Research group at the Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute (IMIM), explains her studies in neuroscience and drugs while explaining her research career closely linked to psychology.
- Dídac Macià, postdoctoral data analyst at the Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal) and assistant professor at the University of Barcelona, talks about his work combining data analysis, physics, and mathematics to solve biological questions.
‘Absolutos y Relativos’ is a PRBB production:
- Editing, script, voiceover and editing: Luca T. Barone
- Recording and post-production: Juan Sánchez, Roger Ventura, Albert Català and Teo Grimalt
- Tune: Liam Colomer (voiceover by Elena Lapaz)