200 scientific activities for the whole family, packed in two days on the Rambla del Raval. This is, in short, the 15th Science Festival, organized again this year by the Barcelona City Council in collaboration with more than 150 scientific institutions in the city.
On May 28 and 29, citizens will be able to delve into mathematical tricks, develop technology, experiment with chemistry, physics and biology, understand health and biomedicine, discuss the environment, discover what the marine sciences hide. .. There will also be space for citizen science and art.
The centers of the Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB) will be there with debates, games and workshops. You can find us in the following activities. See you there!
Debate on animal experimentation
On Saturday 28 at 20:10, the Hospital del Mar Institute for Medical Research (IMIM) will introduce the importance of animal experimentation in science in a three-way debate. How is it regulated and what possible alternative methods exist? Participants will be:
- Arnau Busquets Garcia: moderator and researcher with animal models at IMIM
- Sergi Vila: member of the Agreement on transparency in animal experimentation of the COSCE (Confederation of Scientific Societies of Spain)
- Domingo Gargallo: co-founder and vice president of REMA (Spanish Network for the Development of Alternative Methods to Animal Experimentation)
The Antimicrobial Resistance Initiative of the Barcelona Institute of Global Health (ISGlobal) has prepared two workshops for Saturday 28 May:
- Design Your Bacteria: An activity for children ages 6 to 12 where they will learn about some of the characteristics of these microscopic organisms and how some of them are resistant to antibiotics.
- Micro-Combat Tournament: a card game aimed at children aged 10 and over to learn by playing how microorganisms are transmitted, what prevention measures exist, what treatments are available and what antibiotic resistance is.
Researchers at the MELIS-UPF Synthetic Biology Laboratory have set up a workshop on Sunday morning where people over the age of 12 will be able to manipulate bacteria from their own skin! This synthetic biology workshop will introduce you to this promising field of research where biological systems are designed in the laboratory with new features that they do not present in nature.
Art and science are more alike than you might imagine. The European Molecular Biology Laboratory – Barcelona (EMBL Barcelona) invites you to take part in various memory games where you will have to match microscopic images and paintings by artists, find out which images correspond to which parts of the body and relate certain scientific sounds to images of laboratories.